About Valley-Daylight Lodge #511
On June 27th, 2018, Valley Lodge #511 F&AM and Daylight Lodge #760 F&AM, consolidated into one lodge, and was renamed as Valley-Daylight Lodge #511 F&AM.
Our Lodge is located at 9619 Dixie Highway, Valley Station, Kentucky 40272, just 20 minutes south of downtown Louisville, Kentucky and our Stated Meetings are held on the 2nd Saturday of the month at 10:00 a.m. (Eat at 9:00 a.m.) and on the 4th Saturday of the month At 6:30 p.m. (Dinner At 5:30 p.m.). Valley Lodge long ago gained a reputation as "The lodge where a man is a stranger but once" and has also quite often been referred to as "A country lodge in the big city."
If you would like more information about us, or Freemasonry in general, please feel free to contact us via phone (502) 937-3978 or email our Secretary, Bro. Virgil Hall, PM at: email@example.com
History of Valley Lodge # 511
Chartered October 19, 1871
The First 100 Years of Valley Lodge - 1871-1971
This program, celebrating the occasion of the One Hundredth Anniversary Year, is dedicated to all of the Masons who have founded, brought life, growth, and prosperity to Valley Lodge. Published September, 1971
In writing a history of Valley Lodge, it would be well to give a brief history of the locality in which it is situated, that being, Valley Station, Ky. The community of Valley Station, situated in the southwestern section of Jefferson County, is an unincorporated city consisting mainly of subdivisions, shopping centers, and suburbanite living. However, this is a condition that has come about in the past twenty years. Prior to that, Valley Station was very much a rural area whose ties were linked to truck farming, rose gardening, and old fashioned home cooking. The history beyond this goes back into the early settlement days of the Ohio River Valley in which much of the present area of Valley Station was the home of several Indian Camps.
Throughout the past 100 years of history of Valley Station, Valley Lodge has served as a pillar of strength in the development of this community, and is today one of the most noted landmarks of the area. From this heritage, Valley Lodge has gained a reputation as "the lodge where a man is a stranger but once", and is quite often referred to as "a country lodge in the big city."
VALLEY LODGE NO. 511, F. & A. M. IN THE NAME AND BY THE AUTHORITY OF THE GRAND LODGE OF KENTUCKY. TO ALL WHOM THIS MAY COME, GREETINGS:
WHEREAS, it has been duly represented to the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, that a competent number of Brethren of the Society of Ancient York Free and Accepted Masons, residing near Hussey's Mill and its vicinity, in the county of Jefferson and the State of Kentucky, have been working under a Dispensation issued to them under the authority of this Grand Lodge, and their work and proceedings as such having been reported and confirmed, they pray that they be granted a charter, and authorized to organize and work as a regular lodge, and it appearing to be for the benefit of the Craft in general as well as for the aforesaid Brethren, that their prayer should be granted:
KNOW YE, that we the undersigned, as Grand Officers of the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, by and with the consent of said Grand Lodge, and in its name, do hereby constitute our trusty and well beloved Brethren, the worshipful George W. Miles to be the first Master, Robert H. Stonestreet, Senior Warden, and John F. Montgomery, Junior Warden, together with the Brethren lately working under said Dispensation, and all such true and lawful Brethren as may be permitted to associate with them, a regularly constituted Lodge of Free and Accepted Ancient York Masons, near Hussey's Mill, in the county of Jefferson and State aforesaid, to be designated and known by the name and style of Valley Lodge No. 511: Hereby requiring and enjoining all regular Lodges to hold, acknowledge, and respect them as such. And we do hereby grant and commit to the Master, Wardens, and Brethren aforesaid full power and authority to receive Members, Enter Apprentices, pass Fellow Crafts, raise Master Masons, and to perform all other work of the Craft, agreeably to the ancient customs and usage of ancient York Free Masons, and the constitution, ordinances, and regulations of the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, and no otherwise. Also to choose a Master, Wardens, and other officers yearly, on the anniversary of Saint John the Evangelist and to exact from their members such fees as they may judge necessary for the support of their said Lodge, the relief of their Brethren in distress, and the regular payment of their annual contributions to the Grand Lodge. And we do hereby require and command the Master, Wardens, and Brethren aforesaid, and their successors, to record in their books, along with this present Charter, their own regulations and by-laws, and their whole acts and proceedings, from time to time, as they may occur. And also to correspond with the Grand Lodge whenever occasion may require; to attend the meetings thereof regularly by their representative or deputy; and also to pay respect and obedience to all such ordinances and instructions as they may from time to time receive from the Grand Lodge, or from the Grand Master thereof, for the time being. And lastly, the Master, Wardens, and Brethren aforesaid, in behalf of themselves and their successors, do, by accepting this charter, solemnly engage strictly to conform to all and each of the foregoing regulations and commands, and at all times to acknowledge and recognize the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, and the Grand Master thereof, as their superiors, and as such to obey them, or either of them, in all things pertaining to the Craft.
Done at the Grand Lodge at Louisville, Ky. : IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, we, the Grand Officers thereof, have signed our names, and caused the Seal of said Grand Lodge to be affixed, attested by the Grand Secretary, this 19th day of October A.D. 1871, A.L. 5291
CHARLES WILLIAM EGINTON, Grand Master
E.B. JONES, Deputy Grand Master
D.W. TURNER, Grand Senior Warden
W.E. WOODRUFF, Grand Junior Warden
J.M. McCORKLE, Grand Secretary
History Of Valley Lodge No. 511, F&AM 1871-1971
Much of the history preceding the organization of Valley Lodge has been lost in the sands of time. But we do know that in the early part of the year 1871 several Masons residing in the same district felt a strong need for the formation of a lodge of Free and Accepted Masons in their community. There was no hall for them to meet in, so they gathered at the residences of the Masons involved. When they felt they were ready, they petitioned the Grand Lodge of the State of Kentucky, asking that dispensation be granted to organize a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons in their area. This lodge would be known as Valley Lodge U. D. (Under Dispensation) and was recommended to the Grand Lodge by Falls City Lodge No. 376, F.&A.M., of Louisville, Kentucky.
Much credit is due to several devoted Masons who were very prominent in organizing Valley Lodge. They were Brothers George W. Miles, Robert H. Stonestreet, and Lyns Dodge. The dispensation was granted by the Most Worshipful Charles Eginton, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, and at 4: 00 in the afternoon on the 23rd day of August 1871, in the house of Brother Ben J. Kendall located near Hussey's Mill in Orell, Ky., Valley Lodge was formally organized. Brother W. E. Woodruff, Grand Junior Warden of the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, serving under a commission of proxy for the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, and assisted by Brother J. M. McCorkle, Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, appointed these men to serve as the first officers of Valley Lodge: George W. Miles - Master, Robert H. Stonestreet - Senior Warden, and John F. Montgomery-Junior Warden.
The following brethren were present at this historic meeting: Brothers R. C. Mathews, Samuel Hillman, A. C. Hodges, H. S. Burkhart, C. L. Martin, J. F. Davidson, H. M. Hirshfield, G. W. Miles, R. H. Stonestreet, J. F. Montgomery, Rev. D.Spurrier, L. Dodge, Richard Stinson, Ben J. Kendall, and J. T. Monroe.
The first officers of Valley Lodge were:
George W. Miles ---------------------- Master
Robert H. Stonestreet ---------------- Senior Warden
John F. Montgomery ----------------- Junior Warden
Lyns Dodge -------------------------- Treasurer
Rev. Dennis Spurrier ----------------- Secretary
Ben J. Kendall ------------------------ Senior Deacon
J. F. Monroe -------------------------- Steward and Tyler
The following business was transacted at that first and most memorable meeting:
FEES: Fees for the degrees were $25.00 with $10.00 to accompany the petition, $5.00 before the F.C., and $10.00 on or before the M.M.
DUES: Dues were $5.00 a year, payable $1.25 each quarter.
NEW BUSINESS: "A committee was appointed to procure a piece of suitable ground on which to erect a lodge room or to take steps to procure a deed to make arrangements to build." "Lodge closed at 5 1/2 O'Clock P.M."
The first few meetings were held at Brother Ben J. Kendall's house near Hussey's Mill in Orell, Ky. The craft continued to meet there until such time as the ground was purchased and a lodge hall was erected. Although they had no official hall to meet in, our brothers continued with Masonic activity as usual. At their second official meeting as Valley Lodge U.D. held. on September 4, 1871, the petitions of George W. Archer, John Brown Alexander, and Oliver William Fisher were presented to the craft and on the second day of October, 1871, were elected to take the Entered Apprentice Degree. Oliver Fisher later asked to withdraw his petition and the lodge voted to return his fee, thus leaving George W. Archer and John Brown Alexander as the first two men to petition for initiation into Valley Lodge.
By the third meeting of the newly formed lodge the building committee had procured a plot of ground to erect their lodge hall upon. They had already proceeded with preliminary plans for the building itself and announced that the foundation of the lodge would be 24' x 40'. After having accepted the committee's report, the brothers set forth the salaries of the Secretary and the Tyler. The Secretary would be paid 50c per meeting plus his dues and the Tyler would receive $1.00 per meeting plus his dues. Meetings were held on the first and third Mondays of the month.
On October 19, 1871, Valley Lodge was granted a Charter by the Grand Lodge of the State of Kentucky, to be known as Valley Lodge No. 511, F.&A.M. Brother W. E. Woodruff, Grand Junior Warden of the Grand Lodge of the State of Kentucky and serving as proxy for the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of the State of Kentucky, installed the officers. After the installation, the proxy of the Grand Master proclaimed that Valley Lodge No. 511, F.&A.M., to be legally constituted and the officers thereof duly installed.
Valleys first Lodge Room was erected near Hussey's Mill in Orell, Ky. On March 5, 1872, this Lodge Room was dedicated by Brother W. E. Woodruff, Grand Junior Warden of the Grand Lodge of the State of Kentucky.
To somewhat exemplify what life was like one hundred years ago in a country lodge like Valley No. 511, let us examine a couple of motions that were voted upon and accepted during the year 1873.For example: January 4, 1873, much discussion centered around changing the nights that lodge would meet on. The nights had already been changed from the first and third Monday to the first and third Saturday nights. Now there was a motion on the floor that would change the meetings from the first and third Saturdays of the month to the Saturday on or preceding the Full Moon. The motion carried. Today this would seem rather absurd to most of us. But to our brothers some one hundred years ago, it was a serious matter, for the moon provided them with enough light that they could easily see the dirt roads on which they made their, way to and from lodge-on horseback, the speediest and most economical mode of transportation of the day. And on July 5, 1873, the lodge voted to spend $2.40 and purchase one half dozen spittoons and enough tin to go around the flues.
The lodge was more or less prosperous from its inception until December 27, 1876, growing financially and adding steadily to its roll of membership. It was 1875 before the first blackball was thrown. Beginning with the year 1877 very little was done for the next four years, the Lodge being in a more or less dormant state. Yet history was still being made when on September 18, 1880, George W. Miles became the first life member of Valley Lodge No. 511.
At the election in December, 1880, a live set of officers were placed in the chairs and the Lodge took on a new life. James A. Sanders, the Master, with the aid of A. P. Steel, Ellis Mitchell, and several other prominent members of Miles Lodge, rejuvenated Valley Lodge, bringing in new members and adding materially to the treasury. After reading the minutes of Valley Lodge for this period it is easy to see how proud these men were of their accomplishments, especially when in 1882 the old oil lamps were taken out and lighting installed with the purchase of two chandeliers. This good work continued in fine fashion until December 27, 1892.We have very little information regarding the affairs of Valley Lodge from the years 18921904, due to a fire which destroyed several years' records. As much as can be ascertained from the small amount of information that we do have leads us to believe that most of these years were times of hardship for Valley Lodge, both financially and materially. In the fall of 1904 Valley Lodge No. 511 met for the first time in 16 months.
It seemed to have been customary for Masters to succeed themselves for several years. Whether this was due to lack of material, or to the confidence and love of the Craft for the Master, is difficult to decide. We find such men as George W. Miles (first lifetime member), Robert H. Stone street (wrote the 1st By-Laws), Ben J. Kendall (wrote the first By-Laws), John F. Montgomery (wrote the 1st By-Laws), John B. Alexander (1st petitioner), and James A. Sanders serving the lodge in the most efficient manner during their several long terms.
One of the most prominent and active members of Valley Lodge No. 511 was Dr. S. S., Foss, having served as Master during the years 1906, 1907, 1908.During his second term as Master of Valley, on October 16, 1907, the Eastern Star was chartered, with Dudley C. Blanton, Worthy Matron, Dixie J. Burnett, Worthy Patron, and Mary E. Carter as Associate Matron. Dr. Foss took an unusually active part from the time of his initiation, filled the subordinate offices creditably, and while Junior Warden acted as Master during the illness of the Master, Brother J. B. Alexander.
At this same time Valley Lodge No. 511 was going through a period of depression, but with the zeal and fidelity of Doctor Foss, who was elected Master of Valley Lodge No. 511 on December 27, 1905 and assisted by several Past Masters and enthusiastic Masons of Louisville, Valley Lodge was pulled out of a pit and placed in a flourishing condition. Among those who aided Dr. Foss in restoring Valley Lodge were Past Master John W. Cowles, of Louisville Lodge No. 400; J. H. Shrader, George L. Pope, and J. P. Downs of Shibboleth Lodge No. 750; William Frohmiller of Excelsior Lodge No. 258; Ike T. Woodson of Daylight Lodge No. 760; Mock of Abraham Lodge No. 8; Cockrell of Robinson Lodge No. 266; Charles Gipe-Tyler; J. T. Adams-Grand Senior Warden; and Past Master D. W. Gray.
To see just how deplorable the conditions were at this time is contained in a letter written to Valley Lodge by Dr. S. S. Foss. This letter is contained in the minutes of Valley Lodge No. 511 and is recorded from the meeting of December 26, 1908. It is written below exactly as it appears in the records.
TO THE MEMBERS OF VALLEY LODGE NO.511, F.&A.M.
Sadly I retire as Master after having served this lodge the last four years. I beg leave to make this report on my stewardship. Sometime during the fall of 1904 Brother George Kelley and I were lamenting on the deplorable condition of Valley Lodge. There had not been a meeting for 16 months and I told him that if the lodge would elect me to to the office of Senior Warden I would try with the assistance of the brothers to see what could be done to get the lodge in a prosperous condition. How well we succeeded, the following will show. Nineteen members reported from Valley Lodge to the Grand Lodge on August 31, 1904. September 27, 1904, there were present Brothers Past Master R. H. Stonestreet, L. A. McCullough, George B. Kelley, and myself. Brother Past Master Stonestreet was elected Master, S. S. Foss as Senior Warden, George B. Kelley-Junior Warden, and L. A. McCullough--Secretary. Owing to sickness Brother Stonestreet was never installed. Brother Al Kempner, Past Master of Lewis Lodge installed the other officers. Owing to the continued sickness of Brother Worshipful Master J. B. Alexander, he had not been able to attend the lodge for 16 months. There was no one else who could try to open a lodge of Master Masons. We did not have a meeting during that time, nor had there been but 3 meetings held in 3 years and 8 months. The lodge room was in a bad state of repair, the roof leaked, the plastering was off of the large part of the ceiling and walls, 17 window tiles had been broken, no carpet on the floor, and very little paraphernalia.
The first business transacted was to notify all members in arrears of dues. They must either pay up or be suspended. Four failed to do so and were suspended, that left only 15 members. According to the Grand Lodge report of that year there were only 22 lodges who had a like or less number and 465 that had a greater number. 31st day August, 1905, Valley reported to Grand Lodge 28 members. 31st day August, 1906, 56 members. 31st day August, 1907, 78 members. 31st day August, 1908, 90 members. There are only 81 lodges that reported more than 90 members at that date, 422lodges smaller than Valley. Thus Valley Lodge in 3 years and 8 months had passed 400 lodges. Four years ago the lodge was over $100.00 in debt. At this time, we have received from all sources $2,361.06. We have paid all debts, furnished our lodge room with all necessary paraphernalia, furniture, carpet, stove, lights, dishes, etc. To all necessary calls $1,742.18.
We now have $618.88 in our treasury. In the four years I have been present 91 regular meetings and 15 called meetings. I have been absent 4 regular meetings and 3 called meetings and during this time the lodge failed to meet at 5 regular communications. The reason I was absent was due to the duty to my church and professional duties. I wish to call your special attention to the kind and generous aid that has been extended to us by the brethren of a number of Louisville lodges. Without this, we would never have been able to accomplish what we have."
In 1913 Past Master Foss demitted from Valley Lodge, leaving it one of the most prosperous and active lodges in Kentucky. He had brought the membership from 15 to 90 during his term of office. He demitted to aid in the organizing of Plumb Lodge U. D., later named Plumb Lodge No. 862, F.&A.M. After serving as Master of Plumb Lodge for the years 1913 and 1914, he then demitted back to Valley Lodge on January 22, 1915, and served in the capacity of Secretary for the years 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919, and 1920.
Valley Lodge continued prospering and increasing their membership to such an extent that it found itself in a position necessary to enlarge its hall. On October 18, 1921, Valley Lodge celebrated its 50th anniversary. At this time there were 209 members on the rolls as compared to 10 at that date 50 years prior. The members decided to build a new Lodge Hall, erecting it as a monument to the Craft. In 1924 a lot was purchased in what was then Johnstown, Ky., (the present Valley Station, Ky.), and the present lodge hall was erected. The funds for this project were borrowed from the Masonic Widows and Orphans' Home. The resolution read as follow: "Resolved, that Valley Lodge No. 511, F.&A.M., at stated meeting Feb. 21, 1925, authorize its Master and Secretary to have drawn and signed in favor of Masonic Widows & Orphans' Home and Infirmary, Inc., Louisville, Ky., a mortgage for $2,500.00 against lodge lot and new hall at Johnstown, Ky. (under construction). Payable $500.00 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th year respectfully, interest payable semiannually from date of note at 6 % per annum."
The cornerstone was laid in 1924 by the Most Worshipful Al. E. Orton, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, with Jesse C. Hardy, Master of Valley Lodge No. 511, presiding. The members of the committee were Brothers A. M. Kelley-Past Master Valley 511, G. F. Miller, G. W. Gagel, W. F. Hardy, and C. A. Terry.
Once again we draw upon one of those sad moments in Masonic history where the records are incomplete and there are no minutes to rely on. The minutes for the years 1911-1942 were destroyed in a fire along with those covering the years 1892-1904.We do know that Valley Lodge continued to grow and prosper as they had in the years preceding these. Although, during the Depression years, Valley had their problems, as did the vast majority of Masonic Lodges throughout the country. Then with the outbreak of World War II in the early forties, we find reflected in the minutes the tone and anxiety of the day, not only for Valley Lodge and its members, but for all of America as well. In 1945, the kitchen was added to the lodge hall and the first fans were installed to cool the building. On June 6, 1946, Valley's chapter of Rainbow Girls were chartered with Elizabeth Cliff as their first advisor. Pete Cliff, her husband, was very instrumental in the formation of this chapter. During this same year Valley Lodge granted permission to a number of brothers to organize a Masonic lodge in Fairdale, Ky.
An amusing anecdote appears in the minutes during the latter part of the year 1946.It seems that there had been a small problem with the working tools of the lodge they kept disappearing. As was recorded in the minutes of Valley Lodge No. 511: "The Master really 'Bombed Out' the members for the disappearance of the working tools. The Master directed Brother Secretary to buy a truckload of each type and prefer charges against any person caught walking out of the Lodge Hall with any of the tools on him. "The Master's "Bombing Out" must have been effective because as the Secretary reported several meetings later: "There hasn't been the first working tool found missing since the Master's bombing out session."
Valley Lodge No. 511 celebrated its 75th anniversary on October 19, 1946. There were 209 members on the books, including officers and trustees, and they had $1,250.00 in the Treasury. The meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. with the newly formed Assembly of Rainbow Girls providing the entertainment. Highlights of the evening were a short talk by the Master of Valley Lodge, Brother T. T. Cliff; a brief history of the 75 year span by Brother Clarance R. Blandford, Junior Past Master of Valley Lodge No. 511; presentation of 25-year buttons by Junior Past Grand Master Brother Charles Johnson; and the keynote address being delivered by Brother Charles Johnson, Junior Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of the State of Kentucky.
In November of 1947, Valley Lodge's DeMolay was conceived from a motion on the floor of the lodge, and on the first day of December the Chapter was organized. Our DeMolay received their charter on March 7, 1949.
The decade of 1950-1960 was both a sad and a happy one for the members of Valley Lodge No. 511.The early years began with the outbreak of the Korean War, a small war compared to that of our previous World Wars, but yet still a war in which the lives of many of America's young men were called upon to defend, and to die for their country. As a result of this war, Valley's DeMolay Chapter folded, not to be re-organized until 1963.In August, 1963, Valley Lodge 511 was host Lodge to the annual meeting for District No. 16 of the Grand Lodge. The meeting was held in the Western High School Gymnasium with over 800 Masons in attendance. This was the largest meeting in Grand Lodge history and Brother Roy Clifford Wilder, Past Master of Valley Lodge in 1959 was then serving in the capacity of District Deputy Grand Master for the Grand Lodge of the State of Kentucky.
Those responsible for the re-organization of the DeMolay Chapter in 1963 were Brothers R. Cliff Wilder, Past Master of Valley Lodge and the present Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of the State of Kentucky; Plenge "Neb" Rosenberger, a Past Master of Valley Lodge; and Walter Sipes, also a Past Master of Valley Lodge. Gene Snawder was Chairman of the Board, and the Advisory Council consisted of Brothers R. Cliff Wilder, William H. Miller, John Sturgeon, Walter Sipes, Jim Rowe, Conrad Decker, Edward Adams, Plenge Rosenberger, Ray Robards, Ray Watkins, Bob Frank, Ed Heady, and Jack Farley.
The latter half of the decade brought happiness and prosperity to our country and to Valley Lodge. Some of the highlights of these years were as follows:
* By the year 1955 a membership of approximately 450.
*The installation of a new heating system in the lodge hall.
*Valley Trowel Club had their first fish fry.
*A very large increase in the property evaluation of the lodge.
*For the year 1958, Valley's Degree Team raised 38 brothers to the sublime degree of a Master Mason.
*A new sign was erected in front of the Lodge Hall.
*The Trowel Club of Valley Lodge initiated an Apron Program as an added incentive to encourage the brothers to take an active part in the degree work.
The decade of the sixties was a period of rapid growth for the "country lodge" in Valley Station, Ky. It ushered in an era of rapid change, as well as an era of growth and prosperity. Valley Lodge No. 511 became even further known for her excellent degree teams, and their willingness to travel, aid, and assist their sister lodges when called upon. Many tangible assets were added to Valley Lodge during this decade. Some of which were: the purchasing of steam tables for the kitchen, creation of a prep room, remodeling the restrooms, the additions of a side entrance to the fellowship hall and closets in the front lobby, centrally air-conditioning the lodge (the Trowel Club members sold candy bars to finance this project), and each new member upon receiving his Master Mason Degree being presented with a personal copy of the Kentucky Monitor compliments of Valley Trowel Club.
In 1967 Valley Lodge had 1,336 members and visitors to sign the register, not including funerals, for an average of 51.4 per meeting. December 27, 1967, Valley Lodge went on record as favoring and supporting Brother Past Master Roy Clifford Wilder, Grand Marshal of the Grand Lodge of the State of Kentucky, for Grand Junior Warden of the Grand Lodge of the State of Kentucky for the year 1968.A committee was appointed to send out letters and assist in any other manner to promote the record of Past Master Wilder.
There were 29 called and stated communications during 1968.During this same year at Valley Lodge No. 511 the Entered Apprentice Degree was conferred 10 times, the Fellow Craft Degree 7 times, and the Master Mason Degree 8 times. The records show that the Master Mason Degree was conferred on 24 brothers, 13 Master Masons were admitted by transfer, 1 was admitted for dual membership, and 1 was reinstated for a total of 39.Two of the very special events of the year were a reception for Brother R. Cliff Wilder, who was being installed as the Right Worshipful Grand Junior Warden of the Grand Lodge of the State of Kentucky, and an exchange trip to confer the Master Mason Degree with Fred M. Gross Lodge in Westwood, Ky. This has become an annual event for both lodges today. During this same year Valley Lodge's Degree Team conferred the Master Mason Degree in 13 other lodges, some of which were out in the state, and raised 51 brothers to the sublime degree of a Master Mason.
Valley Lodge saw the Entered Apprentice Degree conferred 9 times on 39 candidates, the Fellow Craft Degree 9 times on 34 brothers, and the Master Mason Degree conferred 8 times on 30 brothers during the year 1969.Fourteen members were accepted by affiliation and two by dual membership for a total of 46.The Degree Team conferred the Master Mason Degree for sister lodges 12 times on 34 brothers in 1969.An exchange trip with Hanselmann Lodge No. 208 in Cincinnati, Ohio, to confer the Master Mason Degree was made. The fellowship among the brethren of these two lodges was so dear that both lodges agreed to make this an annual event in their respective lodges.
In 1970 Valley's Degree Team conferred the Master Mason Degree 24 times - 8 times in their own lodge and 16 in sister lodges in Kentucky and other Grand Jurisdictions. They raised a total of 57 Master Masons (24 for Valley Lodge and 33 for their sister lodges). Three brothers were reinstated and six demitted to other lodges. There were also 9 beloved brothers who were called home to the Grand Lodge on high during the year 1970.
One century has now gone by since that small group of dedicated Masons became known as, and were chartered, Valley Lodge No. 511, Free and Accepted Masons. From the day of October 19, 1871, when there were only 10 members and $8.30 in the treasury, to October 18, 1971, Valley Lodge No. 511 has grown to a membership of 687 members and now has $15,000.00 in the treasury.
There have been times of hardship and strife as well as times of growth and prosperity. The memories of those many men, both living and dead, whose hearts were instilled with the very basic tenets of American Freemasonry and whose endless efforts, sacrifices, and deeds have made Valley Lodge No. 511, F.&A.M., as "A house built upon solid rock", shall never be forgotten. May the brethren of today take this heritage, and as they walk down the pathways of tomorrow continue to the progress being made today, and make Valley Lodge No. 511, F.&A.M., the same source of pride in the future that it has been in the past.
The History of Daylight Lodge #760 Free & Accepted Masons
At 4 O'clock on Saturday afternoon January 16, 1904, a large crowd assembled in the new Temple located on Chestnut Street between 3rd and 4th, to see Daylight Lodge U.D. set to work. All the lodges in the city, some from the Interior and several from Indiana were represented and the spacious hall was comfortably filled. Grand Master Owen D. Thomas, of Lebanon, was present and was received with the honors befitting his rank.
A lodge of Master Masons was opened by the Grand Master with the following temporary officers: Charles A. Sommervillle, Sr. Warden; H.R. Kendall, Jr. Warden; S. A. Lederman, Sr. Deacon; Z.T. Randolph, Jr. Deacon; Charles A. Dailey, Secretary; and Joseph T. Davidson, Tyler. The invocation at the opening of the lodge was delivered by the Rev. Dr. E. L. Powell.
Past Master J.T. Funk was invited to act as Marshall and thereupon the following officers were installed in ample form: Isaac T. Woodson Jr., Master, David W. Gray, Sr. Warden; Barman Hoeppner, Jr. Warden; Ernest W. Sprague, Sr. Deacon; J. L. Lisle, Jr. Deacon; C. Henry Stege and J.O. Dolfinger, Stewards; Stephen D. Smith, Secretary; John A. Gray, Treasurer; W.B. Gossett, Tyler.
Before relinquishing control of the gavel, Grand Master Thomas Installed Capt. H.B. Grant as Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge. At the close of the installation ceremonies the Grand Master delivered a brief address in which he spoke earnestly of the duties incumbent upon all true Masons as imposed by their obligation not merely to assist their brethren in need but also to whisper words of warning and to aid in the reformation of such as have gone astray.
When Worshipful Master Woodson took the gavel he called upon Bishop Dudley to offer prayer, which he did in a feeling manner. He then requested Sr. Warden Gray to explain the object of the new lodge, which he did in a very satisfactory way. He spoke of the number of persons who cannot attend night meetings for various reasons.
Some are obliged to work, others live out of the city so far that they cannot conveniently come in or stay in and other reasons influence some. Past Master J.T. Funk followed along the same lines and in addition, mentioned the interesting fact that the fine Bible upon the altar was a gift to the lodge from the wife of Worshipful Master Bro. Funk expressed gratification at the encouragement given the new lodge and returned thanks to all for the courtesies and favors and to the brethren in attendance for their presence.
Three petitions for initiation were received and referred. The next stated meeting of the lodge was fixed for January 30, 1904. A number of Committee a were appointed to draft By-Laws, arrange for permanent quarters, etc.
The regular business being ended, there were other addresses by Bishop Dudley, Dr. Powell, H.B. Grant and Charles A. Sommerville. As the time was limited the addresses were brief, but very much to the point. The opening meeting of Daylight Lodge was unanimously voted to be a great success and it is the general impression that it fills a want that is felt by many residents of the city and suburbs.
Daylight Lodge #760 F&AM was then chartered on October 18th, 1904. The Lodge has occupied several buildings in it's history, and met last at The Valley Masonic Building on the 2nd Saturday of every month. On June 27th, 2018, Daylight Lodge #760 F&AM consolidated with Valley Lodge #511 F&AM and the consolidated Lodge was renamed Valley-Daylight Lodge #511 Free and Accepted Masons.